Monday, September 27, 2010

Developmental Test

At least a month ago or more, Lincoln's occupational therapist performed a developmental test on him to see if he's on track and where he is for his adjusted age (being 6 months). Today we received the results. Unfortunately they didn't have a copy for me right then, they'll be mailing it later on. In the meantime, I'll try and go off of memory...so don't quote me on this!

Gross Motor Skills....Lincoln scored at a 4 month level. To be expected for us. He is a bit behind and we knew he would score low here. He is barely now mastering the ability to go up on his forearms and lift his head while on his tummy.

Language....he scored at a 2 month level. This one is a bit hard for me to understand. Truly, if he was at about 6 months of age adjusted at the test, he shouldn't be saying much. He has communicative skills such as crying when he needs a bottle, diaper change, or sleep...Laughing when he's happy or someone is being silly...and just babbling like a baby would. I think where they were going with this one was he doesn't necessarily connect the name Lincoln to himself etc.

Cognitive...he scored in the 75th percentile. I am truly giddy about this!! He is above average for his adjusted age and doing things above his chronological age! I am super excited about this one because you never know with the brain bleed-brain injury how it will affect them cognitively. You don't know their capabilities physically, but mentally is also another big issue! So far, he's exceeding our expectations.

I'm going off of memory here and not all of it seeped in, obviously. There were a few more scores and only one more I remember vividly that he was above average on! When I get the actual score sheet, I'll make sure to clarify things.

We set new goals for Lincoln and checked off the ones he's achieved.
Some of the new goals:
Making more purposeful eye contact (this can be especially hard for preemies)
Getting on all fours with intent to crawl
Being able to name objects or people for him and for him to comprehend
Sitting unsupported

He's doing really well with eating....no issues there. That can be a hurdle with preemies as well.
The occupational therapist had been leery of some tone in his hamstrings. This can be indicative of cerebral palsy. When she came today, she said he felt differently and more loose than ever in his legs. We've been working really hard with his stretches.

I'm so proud of my little guy. Life with him was so uncertain and in some terms, it still is. A couple of things I have witnessed and will always believe in....

One....There is a God. We have a Father in Heaven whom is vastly aware of each of our individual situations....And He CARES. Second, I know we are predestined for the lives we have, it is our choice do with it what we may. Third, I KNOW these trials are given to us to help refine and mold our souls in combination of having the opportunity to be an example to others. Lastly, I firmly believe He will never give us anything we can't handle.

I also still, and forever will, believe in miracles. Sometimes when I have the conversation with other people about the experience I had with Lincoln, things seem knew to me. In the sense that, it's somewhat foreign and I never thought about it in that light. Like the fact that I was FOUR AND A HALF months pregnant when my water broke. That is just unbelievable. I always say I was 18 weeks along. Most people are just about to find out the sex of their baby at that gestation. And while most women have 2 maybe 3 ultrasounds through out the duration of their pregnancy, I was having an ultrasound once monthly from 9 weeks to 20 weeks, then twice a week from 20 weeks until I delivered him at 28 weeks gestation. Mind boggling. He was meant to be here and he's making his mark on this world. Ok, even if it's not a mark on this world, it sure is on me and my family. I look forward to watching his progress. I love how everything he does is so exciting and such a huge achievement to us. Even if it's clapping his hands, rolling around on the floor or even just smiling. We love this boy and we're oh so lucky to have him with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment