Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New Kicks

This kid LOVES being outside. That just goes to show how similar he is to the other kids. I'm sure if I let him be outside from sun up to sun down, he'd be game. He accomplished something pretty big the other day. Lincoln went all the way up the driveway all by himself. We were referred to Shriner's Children's Hospital to have him be seen by an orthopedic surgeon. Lincoln's ankles are pretty weak and can't support the weight as needed to allow him to stand or walk independently. So, they decided to have him fitted for braces. He is supposed to wear them throughout the day with breaks every 2-3 hours for an hour or whenever he's sleeping. They also gave him some specialty shoes to go along with them. The shoes are a bit taller than your average shoe which allow him to fit in them easily with the braces. Lincoln was not very happy when he was first introduced to them. I think he was just afraid of the unknown. He kept looking at me with these huge puppy dog eyes like...."save me Momma." I'll have to post individual pictures of the shoes and braces. It's taking him a little getting used to them. Walking with his walker in them at first proved to be a bit difficult. Just getting used to the extra weight and some of the limitations the braces posed were enough to make him have to work a little harder, but he never gave up. He never does. It may take Lincoln quite a bit longer than your "average" child to accomplish something, but he's strong-willed enough that it always happens. As I watched him first struggle doing what so many of us take for granted the other day, I couldn't help but get a little teary-eyed. This little guy has to work one hundred times harder to do what is natural to so many of us. I'm so proud of him though. I know it's hard work, but I also know it will all pay off. Lincoln is amazing to me. I truly would do anything for my boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment