Sunday, November 22, 2009

Kanga and Roo

Well, he got just plain exhausted!! He tried the CPAP for almost a good 24 hours, but didn't last any longer. They felt his carbon dioxide off-put and oxygen in-take levels weren't where they needed to be. At this time they felt it in the best interest to put Lincoln back on the VIP ventilator. I'm okay with that. I feel like they need to do whatever is BEST for Lincoln. Their strategy is to make sure he makes progress, but to be safe while doing it. Their plan of action is to try it again in a few days.

NOW on to better news:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I FINALLY got to hold my baby boy!!! This is what they call the Kangaroo hold. It is so very important for these little fragile preemies to feel the skin to skin contact with their Mommy. Touch...and a positive touch.... helps him to remember me. Holding him helps him to hear my heartbeat as he once did while in my womb. They say, especially once you start feeding them their mommy's milk, they will recognize their mommy's smell. I've chosen one place I touch him every time I go in and that gives him another chance to recognize me, I hold his hand. My voice is something that is familiar to him and I make sure he hears it when I go in twice a day. When I was pregnant with him, I often sang the same song while in the shower. I make sure to sing or hum that song to him while I visit.

Photobucket

Photobucket
LOOK AT ALL HIS HAIR!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Megan, these pictures are absolutely spectacular. WOW, seriously, these are amazing treasures. I LOVE his hair! He'll come off that vent soon! I'm proud of him for not being on the oscillator anymore! Good job, Lincoln!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan the pictures are really breathtaking!! You both look so beautiful. I'm so glad you got to hold him--I bet it was an amazing experience to finally hold the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, we know what it is like with a 28 weeker. Lincoln is the exact same size and gestation that Izzy was when she was born. So, if you would ever like to talk or just need someone to listen we would be more than happy to lend an ear or a helping hand with whatever you need. We're so happy that you got to hold him today. Know that we will be thinking of you and your miracle baby.

    Karson (from Cub Scouts) and Betsy Denney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful pictures! I am so very happy for you! He is doing amazing! Keep up the positive outlook and the good work. You are an amazing mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan! What beautiful pictures. Your eyes say so much. You are a great mommy and have so much love to give. I am sure that your love with strengthen your little boy! We are still praying for you! PS I love the picture below with the dollar bill next to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh those pictures are just too sweet for words! What a precious little baby. I'm so happy he is making progress. I think it is so great that you are doing everything you can to help him recognize and remember you, I know our babies can feel their mothers love from the very beginning. He is a lucky boy :)

    ReplyDelete